Below are the 8 trouble-free steps to make your own WordPress website effortlessly.
Firstly, you will be required to know that more than 30% of the websites today are on WordPress. The main reason behind it is being absolutely FREE!
Through this easy guide, you will get your site online within a matter of a few hours! From the help of top-ranked IT experts, we’ve managed to summarize the art of constructing your website is very easy 8 steps.
Let’s get started!
Obtaining a Domain Name
This will be the initial major step that would impact the popularity of the site. Success and failure may depend upon the type of Domain Name you’ll choose. Therefore, make sure to choose a Domain which suits the content on your site and goes accordingly.
If you’re wondering How do I get a domain name? Then we have your answer. You’ll need to visit your domain registrar for example ‘Domain.com’ is a good one. After going here, you’ll search the particular address which you desire for your site and check whether it is available or not.
What characteristics does a good domain name have? It should reflect the content of your site. Don’t forget to make it simple and short. Do remember if you choose to make an unusual or complicated domain then this will impact your visitors (as it is harder to remember).
The widely used extension is undoubted ‘.com’ and therefore we would recommend to use it too unless you’re making a government site for which you may use ‘.gov’.
If there’s a particular domain name you have liked but the domain extension is not available then these might be helpful for second choice:
.net – often related to tech companies
.org – generally used by Non-Governmental Organizations and various charities
.co – mostly used by startups and entrepreneurs
Amongst other extensions, you will see your country’s extension like .in for India, .co.uk for the United Kingdom. You’ll have a lot of choices to choose apart from ‘.us’ because it can only be used by citizens and entities of the United States.
Cost of the domain? Most domains are not expensive and cost less than $20 but there will be some domains that cost a lot. These are ‘Premium Domain Names’. These domains are very popular and hence cost a lot. The reason for their popularity is that it is thought they will bring a lot of visitors to your website. If your ambitions are to get a lot of traffic through Google searches then Premium Domain Name might just be the thing for you. Remember to choose wisely according to your needs and type of content.
Sign Up to a Hosting Provider
So now that you’ve completed the first step which was crucial today the least, now let us initiate the second step. You’ll be looking for a host!
To understand the importance of finding a host, you need to know that you can’t get your WordPress site up and work with a host! It’s not possible. Without a host, your website will not be going online so you’ll have to do this essential step. Below are some criteria which you should see that your host provider has:
- PHP version 7.2 or greater
- MySQL version 5.6 or greater, OR MariaDB version 10.0 or greater
- HTTPS support
According to some studies done by various organizations, Bluehost is amongst the leading host providers. The evidence of it is really good is that WordPress itself has recommended it. You may want to give it a look.
One option you’ll have to choose is shared or managed WordPress hosting. Following details will give you the idea of which one to choose amongst them:
- In shared WordPress hosting, you will have a shared server with its resources. The bandwidth and the storage space for your website will be shared. The benefit of this is that shared hosting is cheaper as compared to the other one and they go well with small-sized sites.
- The other option is managed hosting. This is suitable if you have a larger website which will be needing a lot of resources. It is more expensive as compared to shared hosting.
Here is a guide as to how you can sign up for a hosting provider:
You’ll need a plan
Go to the host providers’ homepage. Select the option of ‘shared hosting’ from the menu.
These will be the options you are likely to get:
Most people use the ‘Choice Plus Plan’ or a similar name, which will give you free backup. This free backup is crucial for your site.
Finding your domain name
You will most likely be asked to enter your domain name.
When you’re done with your plan, you will be linking your domain name.
After connecting your domain name, you will be asked to create an account. Now you’ll have to fill your billing details.
Select an adequate time when asked how long will you be signing up for. You may sign up for months or years, but remember that signing up for years will be less expensive than signing up for a few months. So choose your time frame intelligently. Most host providers will offer you 30 days money-back guarantees just in case you change your mind.
Until now you have got your domain name done and also finished with your hosting plan. Next, let us install WordPress!
The exciting part will now begin as it will be time to install WordPress!
You’ll have the option of installing WordPress directly via the hosting dashboard. The installation can be done in two ways – one click or manual installation:
One-click installation of WordPress
As the name itself suggests, host providers will give you the option of a one-click WordPress installation.
Many host providers offer a one-click installation. The standard ‘cPanel’ dashboard is most commonly used by host providers. The process of one-click installation is simple and easy. You’ll not be facing any issues in this step.
Manual WordPress Installation
This may be a bit complex as compared to the one-click installation. It will include downloading WordPress followed by re-uploading it your hosting provider.
If you want to keep things simple and easy, then the one-click installation is your best choice.
Choosing a Theme
The one major advantage of WordPress is that you’ll surely have a large scope for customizing your site. Now, you’ll have to begin with a theme.
The question you might be thinking – what is a theme? It’s basically a kind of a template that can populate with your own content. You may customize it according to your liking.
You’ll have a set of themes to choose from in your WordPress. You may use the ‘demo’ to see which theme fits your site and goes with the purpose.
For installing a theme, follow these steps:
1) Open the dashboard.
2) Click on ‘Appearance’, now click on ‘Themes’. The theme dashboard will be opened.
3) Choose the ‘Add New’ option, search themes below ‘Featured’, ‘Popular’ and others.
4) Use the demo feature to see which suits your site better. Click the ‘Install’ button on the theme you see fit.
5) Select the ‘Activate’ button and you’ll be done! The theme will now be applied and all yours!
Some of the themes will be available directly through WordPress.
You’ll also have the choice of buying themes from a third-party site. The thing you’ll have to remember here is that with a lot of features, your site could slow down hence go for what is needed and don’t be greedy.
Follow these steps to install a premium theme:
1) Download the .zip file of the theme.
2) Open your WordPress Dashboard.
3) Click the ‘Appearance’ button, now click ‘Themes’. Go to the theme dashboard.
4) Click the ‘Add New’ button. This will take you to the WordPress theme dashboard.
5) Click the button at the top which says ‘Upload Theme’
6) You’ll then be prompted to choose a .zip file from your computer. Choose your new theme file.
7) You’ll then see a success message, with a link to activate your theme. And now the theme will be functional!
Premium themes can go up to $200 dollars but mostly cost about $50. Choose according to your needs and wishes.
The best part is that you will be able to customize your website. What this means is that you can edit the code, install plugins that you may like and try many more things.
If you think you have chosen a wrong theme you will have the choice of changing it later so don’t worry.
WordPress is always updating and themes need to be updated. WordPress-made themes or those made by third-party developers will create a theme update in advance of a WordPress update being rolled out. You’ll then be installing the update yourself to make sure your site remains compatible with the new version of WordPress.
Putting up Content
Now that you have your WordPress theme installed, the next step will be putting up your content!
There are generally two types of content on the web:
Pages are fixed and steady, so they won’t be changing unless you change them yourself. You’ll notice that many websites give the example of the ‘About Us’ page. Most themes will show you different pages in the navigation bar, from there you can add the ‘Pages’ widget to list them down the side, too.
If you wish to add a new page, go to Pages > Add New.
These are entries listed in chronological order, either on the homepage or in a dedicated ‘blog’ section. You can set posts as ‘sticky posts’ so they remain at the top.
To add a new post, go to Posts > Add New.
Once you’ve ‘added’ a page or post, you’ll need to populate it with your own content before clicking ‘publish’ to make it live on the site. The best approach is to add any written content sections in different ‘Text Blocks’. You may add images and videos in between (videos can also be embedded from YouTube or similar sites), as well as image galleries (either as a carousel of images or a selection of thumbnails).
Do preview the draft posts before you decide to publish them!
Customizing the Site
Your website will be looking much better after you add pages and posts. Then you’ll be customizing your website according to the content of your site.
You’ll have many options to customize your website. Here are some of them:
Change the Site Title and Tagline
When you set up your site, WordPress automatically sets your site’s title to ‘Just another WordPress site’
But you’re not ‘just another WordPress site’, so make sure you clear this up sharpish!
Here is how you will change WordPress title and tagline”
1) Go to your WordPress dashboard.
2) Open the ‘Settings’, now open the ‘General’ tab
3) Add your website’s ‘title’ against ‘Site Title’
4) As for ‘Tagline’, add a few words explaining what the site is about
5) Now you’ll be clicking on ‘Save Changes’
If you wish people to find your content then you’ll need to do this step carefully.
Most of the themes have a minimum one menu option, some complex themes do have many menu options. Adding one is really easy.
Adding a navigation menu (Main menu) in WordPress:
1) Go to your WordPress dashboard.
2) Open the ‘Appearance’, now open ‘Menu’
3) Add a name for your menu next to ‘Menu Name’, then select which pages you’d like to add from the list down the left side.
4) For themes with multiple menu options, you might see several tick box options under ‘Menu Settings’ such as ‘primary’, ‘secondary’ etc. Your best bet is to tick primary for now – you can always change this if you’re unhappy with the live version.
5) Hit ‘Save Menu’ to put your new menu live onsite!
Set a homepage
When it comes to your homepage, you’ve got two main options: a dynamic page, which updates with all your newest posts, or a static page, which keeps the same content.
Setting homepage in WordPress:
1) Go to your WordPress dashboard.
2) Open ‘Settings’, now click on the ‘Reading’ button.
3) ‘Reading Settings’ will be opened before you, the first of which is ‘Front Page Displays’.
4) Choose one of the ‘Your latest posts’ or ‘A static page’.
5) Click on ‘Save Changes’ and make your homepage changes live.
By choosing ‘Your latest posts’, you may select how many blog posts should be shown on the page. You may also select if the full text should be shown or a summary. By choosing ‘A static page’, make sure you set up a page called ‘Blog’ which will show all your newest posts.
Change Comments Settings
The comment feature in WordPress is default set to ‘on’. Comments will tell how your audience feels and will build your audience for your site.
You may also face a situation where comments may not suit your site. Or you may wish to filter the comments just so that you don’t get spam.
Follow these steps to change comments settings in WordPress:
1) Open your WordPress dashboard.
2) Go to ‘Settings’, then open the ‘Discussion’ tab.
3) It is recommended that you choose the ‘Comment must be manually approved’ option. From this option, you will have the choice to publishing or not publishing the comments.
4) Now press the ‘Save Changes’ button!
You can head to the support page if you feel like you should have more information on comments.
You may be wondering what exactly is a plug-in?
Installing plugins is a way of installing features that aren’t included in WordPress already. These are similar to apps which you download on your smartphone. Now it is important to remember some apps are free while some aren’t free. All plugins which come with WordPress plugin directory don’t cost anything but the catch here is that you’ll have to pay the third party which demands from $40 to $200.
You’ll have a lot of choices as there are more than 50,000 plugins available and every function is available which you may want or need. But not all plugins were created equal!
Don’t forget that installing too many plugins will eventually slow down your site. So avoid installing unnecessary plugins. This will annoy your audience and hurt your performance in Google’s rankings.
Following are a few of the most used plugins:
1) Contact Form by WP Forms – an easy and effective ‘drag and drop’ form builder plugin if you want to add customization forms to site
2) Yoast SEO – it will support you in optimizing your content so that it ranks higher on search engines.
3) WooCommerce – add eCommerce functionality (i.e. selling products online) to your site.
It’s very easy to upload a plugin. If you choose a poor plugin, you may not receive the updates before the new WordPress version is released. So be careful and avoid choosing poor plugins.
It’s a good thing that all plugins have a user-generated star rating with them and reviews too. It is recommended that you only go for plugins with a lower number of downloads and having positive reviews. That’s the safest bet you can make!
This is how you can add a plugin to your website:
1) Open the dashboard.
2) Open the ‘Plugins’ tab, and click on ‘Add New’.
3) Utilize the search bar located in the top right-hand side to search for specific plugins.
4) When you find a plugin make sure to look at its ratings and reviews.
5) If you’re satisfied then you may click the ‘Install Now’ button.
6) When WordPress has completed downloading the plugin, you’ll receive a completion message and you may press ‘Activate Plugin’.
7) Now go to the settings tab to configure your plugin.
It is recommended that you take a look at the support page on plugins and do your research fully before installing any plugins.
Don’t forget to update the plugins.
This will be your last step.
It is quite possible that you have created an excellent website but all your efforts will not yield positive results if you don’t frequently update your theme and plugins.
Note: If any major WordPress update comes then your site will stop working and you’ll be left endangered with viruses and hackers. So it is necessary for you to update your site regularly!
Checking for updates in WordPress:
1) Open your WordPress dashboard.
2) Go to the ‘Update Options’.
3) See if any update is available under various tabs (plugins, themes, etc.) or ‘General’.
Now you may easily accept each update or choose to update them all at once automatically.
Remember to renew your domain and host providers’ contracts at the end of your time frame.
This is it. Thanks for going through the article and keeping patience with us.
This is a quick summary to help you achieve success:
|1. Domain Name||Find and pay for a suitable domain name, also try to use’.com’.|
|2. Host Provider||Use the service of a hosting provider to secure your own plot of internet land. The shared host provider is cheaper.|
|3. Install WordPress||Choose one-click installation as it is easy and simple.|
|4. Theme||Utilize the ‘demo’ feature and choose the theme you see fit with your content.|
|5. Adding Content||You’ll add media, pages, content to your website.|
|6. Customize your site||You’ll change your content according to the way you ought it to look.|
|7. Install Plugins||Install plugins to put extra features to your site.|
|8. Update||Regularly update!|
Do you think we forgot something? Leave a comment below to let us know what we may have left out or what you thought about the article. Thank You.